Course Textbook: Elements of Multinational Strategy by Keith Head, Springer: 2008. This book is available in print (e.g., from the UBC Bookstore) or online via SpringerLink for UBC students (click on the above link for the PDF file). The material covered in this course follows chapters 1-6 in Professor Head's book closely. To access the online version, make sure that you are connecting from a UBC domain or through the UBC virtual private network (myVPN.ubc.ca).
The two textbooks below explore topics in much greater depth than is possible in the course. For those who are interested in legal and logistical aspects of international trade, the textbooks below provide excellent introductions.
- Ray August, Don Mayer, and Michael Bixby: International Business Law: Text, Cases, and Readings, 6th edition, Pearson, 2013.
- Pierre David: International Logistics: The Management of International Trade Operations, 4th edition, Cicero Books, 2013.
Newspaper Articles: You are required to read and prepare assigned articles and cases in advance of the class in which the articles are discussed. Most URLs on this web page provide direct links to the resources as some newspapers and magazines offer limited but free access. Other URLs involve authentication through UBC's EZproxy. If you encounter problems accessing an article, please contact the instructor. Alternative access is available through ProQuest for The Economist magazine and the The New York Times newspaper.Globalization
- A troubling trajectory,
The Economist, December 13, 2014.
- Elisabeth Malkin: Manufacturing Jobs are Exiting Mexico,
The New York Times, November 5, 2002.
- Pete Engardio: Can the U.S. Bring Jobs Back Home?,
Businesweek, June 19, 2008.
- Charles Duhigg and Keith Bradsher: How the US Lost Out on iPhone Work,
The New York Times, January 21, 2012.
- Jean Michel Laurin: Canada's Global Trade Agenda: Opportunities for SMEs,
The Globe and Mail, Issue Brief, 2013.
- The big-box game: The largest container lines are bulking up to try to withstand a fresh downturn,
The Economist, October 31, 2015.
- The Big Mac index: Global exchange rates, to go,
The Economist, July 1, 2013.
- Eric Sylvers: Ikea Index Indicates the Euro Is Not a Price Equalizer Yet,
The New York Times, October 23, 2003.
- Life after Doha,
The Economist, December 14, 2013.
- The Canada-EU trade deal: Signed, not sealed,
The Economist, September 28, 2014.
- NAFTA at 20: Ready to take off again?,
The Economist, January 4, 2014.
- Protectionism: The hidden persuaders,
The Economist, October 12, 2013.
Lecture notes are handout versions of the presentation slides with
space for annotations. All lecture notes are in PDF. To view
PDF files please use the free Acrobat Reader,
available for download from the Adobe web site.
Access to lecture notes for my course
is restricted to students enrolled in this course.
To access the lecture notes, please click on the Log In button in the menu above.
Video Files: In addition to lecture notes, the course management system also provides access to video files for the team project presentations. Video files are published in MP4 format. If your default Windows media player does not play MP4 video files, pelase download the free VLC media player. Mac users should use QuickTime.