Textbook (required reading): The textbook for this course is my own book Elements of Environmental Management, published by University of Toronto Press in the summer of 2014. It is available directly from the publisher, through the UBC Bookstore, and from Amazon and from Indigo/Chapters. It is currently available as trade paperback and hardcover. An ebook version is forthcoming. More information at environmental-management.ca.Newspaper Articles: You are required to read and prepare assigned articles and cases in advance of the class in which the articles are discussed. The list below provides access electronically. Most articles are free on the various newspaper web sites, usually up to a maximum number of articles per month. However, if you have difficulties accessing particular sources, you may need to look up the article in the UBC Library and use your CWL login. The articles below are sorted by topic and progress through the corresponding book chapters and classroom sessions. If you come across articles that would be useful to discuss in class, you are invited to submit your suggestions to the instructor. Sustainability
- A new green wave: a few pioneering businesses are developing `sustainability policies' worthy of the name,
The Economist, August 30, 2014.
- Andrew C. Revkin: Carbon-Neutral Is Hip, but Is It Green?,
The New York Times, April 29, 2007.
- Following the footprints,
The Economist, June 2, 2011.
- James Kanter: Don't Think That Cap-and-Trade Is Over,
The New York Times, April 11, 2010.
- Felicity Barringer: California Law Tests Response of Companies to Carbon Costs,
The New York Times, December 25, 2012.
- Keith Bradsher: Government Aid Puts China Ahead in Clean Energy,
The New York Times, September 8, 2010.
- Keith Bradsher: Union Accuses China of Illegal Clean Energy Subsidies,
The New York Times, September 9, 2010.
- Karen Howlett, Bertrand Marotte and Richard Blackwell: WTO rules against Ontario in green energy dispute,
The Globe and Mail, November 20, 2012.
- Martin Mittelstaedt: Will Dow challenge Quebec pesticide law?,
The Globe and Mail, April 3, 2009.
- Elisabeth Rosenthal: Your Biggest Carbon Sin May Be Air Travel,
The New York Times, January 26, 2013.
- Justin Gillis: The Montreal Protocol, a Little Treaty That Could,
The New York Times, December 9, 2013.
- Atmospheric pressure: Why some environmental agreements work and others don't,
The Economist, April 17, 2003.
- Erin Millar: How not to get greenwashed: cutting through the bafflegab,
The Globe and Mail, April 22, 2010.
- Mark Hume: Sustainable sockeye `eco-fraud',
The Globe and Mail, January 20, 2010.
- Clifford Krauss: Shell to Test Capturing of Carbon in Canada,
The New York Times, September 5, 2012.
- Anne Eisenberg: Pulling Carbon Dioxide Out of Thin Air,
The New York Times, January 5, 2013.
- Mark Landler: Germany Debates Subsidies for Solar Industry,
The New York Times, May 16, 2008.
- Elisabeth Rosenthal: Europe Finds Clean Energy in Trash, but U.S. Lags Behind,
New York Times, April 13, 2010.
- Hot rocks and high hopes,
The Economist, September 2, 2010.
- Nuclear's next generation,
The Economist, December 10, 2009.
- Building the smart grid,
The Economist, June 4, 2009.
- Canada's Tar Sands—Muck and brass,
The Economist, January 20, 2011.
- Richard Blackwell: Making the most of wastewater,
The Globe and Mail, December 29, 2013.
Video Files: In addition to lecture notes, the course management system also provides access to video files for the team project presentations. Video files are published in MP4 format. If your default Windows media player does not play MP4 video files, pelase download the free VLC media player. Mac users should use QuickTime.
Research Articles (Recommended Readings)
- Dan Kirby, Radha Curpen, and Shawn Denstedt: Environmental Law in Canada, Osler, Hosking, and Harcourt LLP. March 2009, pp. 54-58.
- Sameer Kumar, Valora Putnam: Cradle to Cradle: Reverse logistics strategies and opportunities across three industry sectors, International Journal of Production Economics 115 (2008), 305-315.
- John Christensen, Christopher Park, Earl Sun, Max Goralnick, and Jayanth Iyengar: A practical guide to green sourcing, Supply Chain Management Review, November 2008, 14-21
- Jamie Benidickson. Environmental Law. Irwin Law, 3rd edition, 2008.
- Paul L. Bishop. Pollution Prevention: Fundamentals and Practice. Waveland Press, 2004.
- Godfrey Boyle, Bob Everett, and Janet Ramage. Energy Systems and Sustainability: Power for a Sustainable Future. Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Gwendolyn Burke, Ben R. Singh, and Louis Theodore. Handbook of Environmental Management and Technology. Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2nd edition, 2004.
- Mackenzie L. Davis and David A. Cornwell. Introduction to Environmental Engineering, McGraw-Hill, Boston, 4th edition, 2008.
- Barry Field and Nancy Olewiler. Environmental Economics. McGraw-Hill, 2nd canadian edition, 2005.
- Daniel E. Etsy. Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage. Yale University Press, 2006.
- Chris T. Hendrickson, Lester B. Lave, and H. Scott Matthews. Environmental Life Cycle Assessment of Goods and Services: An Input-Output Approach, Resources for the Future Press, Washington DC, 2006.
- Joel Makower. Strategies for the Green Economy: Opportunities and Challenges in the New World of Business. McGraw-Hill, 2008.
- Bram F. Noble: Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment: A Guide to Principles and Practice. Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Dixon Thompson (editor). Tools for Environmental Management: A Practical Introduction and Guide. University of Calgary Press, 2006.
- T. H. Tietenberg. Emissions Trading: Principles and Practice, Resources for the Future Press, second edition, 2006.
Special Topic: Oil Sands Production (Voluntary Readings)
- Richard K. Lattanzio: Canadian Oil Sands: Life-Cycle Assessments of Greenhouse Gas Emissions, United States Congressional Research Services, June 18, 2012
- M.M. Savard et al.: A Local Test Study Distinguishes Natural from Anthropogenic Groundwater Contaminants near an Athabasca Oil Sands Mining Operation, Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 7195, Natural Resources Canada, 2012.
- Pierre Gosselin et al.: Environmental and Health Impacts of Canada's Oil Sands Industry, The Royal Society of Canada, 2010.
- James Glanz: Deep in Bedrock, Clean Energy and Quake Fears and Interactive Feature: The Danger of Digging Deeper, The New York Times, June 23, 2009.
- Geological Survey of Canada