Book: Elements of
Multinational Strategy by Keith Head, Springer: 2008.
This book is available in print (e.g., from the UBC Bookstore) or
online via SpringerLink for UBC students (click on the above link for
the PDF file). The
material covered in this course follows Professor Head's book very
closely. To access the online version, make sure that you are
connecting from a UBC domain or through the UBC virtual private network (myVPN.ubc.ca).
Article Package: This package contains a collection
of newspaper and magazine articles that discuss issues covered in this
course. The package is not available in print as in previous years;
it is now only available online through this web site, free of charge.
Most URLs on this web page provide direct links to the resources as
some newspapers and magazines offer limited but free access. Other
URLs involve authentication through UBC's EZproxy.
If you encounter problems accessing an article, please contact the
instructor. Alternative access is available through ProQuest
for The Economist
magazine and the The
New York Times newspaper.
You are required to read and prepare assigned cases in advance of
the class in which the articles are discussed. Assigned readings
are identical across all sections of this course.
International Business (General)
International Trade Theory
International Trade Law
- Louis Uchitelle: Globalization: It's Not Just Wages,
The New York Times, June 17, 2005.
- Andy Hoffman: China's workshop gets transplanted,
The Globe and Mail, June 25, 2011.
- Pankaj Ghemawat: How national borders impede global trade,
The Globe and Mail, May 9, 2011.
- Rana Foroohar (with Martin Stabe): Fabulous Fashion: Low-cost companies like Zara and TopShop are emerging as defining and dominant players, not just followers,
Newsweek International, October 17, 2005.
- The future of fast fashion,
The Economist, June 16, 2005.
- Karen Howlett, Bertrand Marotte and Richard Blackwell: WTO rules against Ontario in green energy dispute,
The Globe and Mail, November 20, 2012.
- Richard Blackwell: Ottawa appeals WTO ruling on Ontario's green-energy plan,
The Globe and Mail, February 6, 2013.
- Ontario to change green energy law after WTO ruling,
The Globe and Mail, May 29, 2013.
- NAFTA at 20: ready to take off again?,
The Economist, January 4, 2014.
International Market Adaptation
International Human Resources
- John Tagliabue: Taking Their Blocks and Playing Toymaker Elsewhere,
The New York Times, November 20, 2006.
- Moving back to America: The dwindling allure of building factories offshore,
The Economist, May 12, 2011.
- Coming Home: A growing number of American companies are moving their manufacturing back to the United States,
The Economist, January 19, 2013.
- David Barboza: Supply Chain for iPhone Highlights Costs in China,
The New York Times, July 5, 2010.
- Bringing home the beer: InBev succeeds in its $52 billion bid for Anheuser-Busch,
The Economist, July 14, 2008.
In addition to the assigned readings above you should follow
international business news in a major national or international
newspaper or business magazine.
A number of free copies of the National Post
are often available during the term in the Henry Angus building.
Another excellent source of international business news is
The Economist magazine.
© 2018 Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia.
This web site is maintained by